A Consent to Disclose form is standard documentation to uphold your confidentiality and privacy! Verbal consent is not enough, and completing the form thoroughly and accurately is crucial.
Our professional code of ethics, under the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers, clearly defines that all information you share with your therapist is confidential and will not be communicated, directly or indirectly, to anyone without your informed and written consent. Verbal consent, or written communication through an email, is not enough to provide consent to disclose. We will require a completed form for accurate documentation.
A Consent to Disclose Information form can be voluntarily completed by you, should you wish to release any information related to your therapy sessions with us here at Shift. You are able to refuse to sign the consent form, and/or place limitations on what is to be shared.
There is no “Age of Consent” when it comes to Psychotherapy. For example, if you are looking to book an appointment for your daughter who is eleven (11), we will still ask her to complete the Consent to Disclose Information Form. You are more than welcome to co-sign, and/or walk her through the form.
Here are some instances in which we will require a Consent to Disclose Information Form:
- Confirming and/or denying you are receiving services at our clinic
- Releasing information such as chart notes to anyone other than you
- Having another individual pay for your sessions, and/or receive the receipt
- Having another individual manage your session bookings (i.e., booking, canceling, etc.)
- Verifying your sessions with your Insurance provider
- Having a another individual’s email or phone number on your account (common when we are booking in youth or children, who may not have an email address)
Here is a quick video walkthrough of how you can accurately complete a Consent to Disclose Form!
If you require a Consent Form, or need any support, don’t hesitate to drop our Care team a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are more than happy to support you!
You can learn more about Confidentiality HERE.